It is very hard to get a good Internet signal in this area. Best to walk around and keep trying. This beach area was first popular with the hippies of 1970s is one of Sri Lanka’s best deals to stay at right on the beach. In fact most of these beach front properties are US$60 or under a night. If you want AC and hot water, expect to pay another US$10 a night. You really don’t need hot water and most of the AC units here are quite old. I say save your money and go primitive.
This area was badly damaged by the Tsunami of 2004 and you can still see its impact. When I was living here 20 years ago, these guest houses had quite a bit of beach front property back in the day, the ocean had less of a current, and the fishermen were bringing in a lot more fish. Sad to see this morning that one of the fishing boats did not bring in any. Surfing is still popular in this area though.
Today, I am determined to find the site of my 10th grade Geography field trip here but so much has changed. Wish me luck.
- Day 4 in Paradise (bookonsrilanka.wordpress.com)
- Kandy to hikkaduwa – Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka (travelpod.com)
- Nothing but chilling – Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka (travelpod.com)
- So long, Sri Lanka! (adventuresacrossasia.wordpress.com)
- Beach bumming in Sri Lanka (adventuresacrossasia.wordpress.com)